Friday, November 27, 2009

In Defense of: The Twilight Kids

I think we were all expecting the Twilight backlash, but I figured we wouldn't see it and I therefore wouldn't have to make this post, until at least the next movie. Apparently, that isn't the case. So here we go.

Something that I think has to be remembered when discussing the incredible over-saturation of all things Twilight is that it actually has little do with the kids themselves. They aren't responsible for having their faces shoved down our collective throat on a near constant basis. The public is. Yes, that's right folks - blame yourselves for seeing Robert, Kristen or Taylor everywhere you look because if we didn't pay attention, they would go away.

Now let's talk about Robert and Kristen. Until they signed on to be unexpected lovers, Edward and Bella, they were two indie kids who just liked acting and music. I doubt either of them could have foreseen the level of hysteria that would surround their every move - especially Mr. Pattinson. The guy looks so overwhelmed every time he's confronted by a screaming throng of fans, and let's face it, that's pretty much all the time now. I don't think he'd mind at all if I few of the rabid fans salivating for so much as a glimpse of his famously messy hair backed off just a little bit.

Then there's Taylor. He's seventeen and he has full-grown, middle-aged women asking them to sign panties with his face on them. Do I even need to mention how disgusting and disturbing that is? I suppose I just did, but really, it goes without saying. He has a nice body, yes, but it's still an underage body so, mom's keep your panties on.

Let's not blame the kids in Twilight and New Moon for the monster we have all helped create. They're just actors doing their job. Cut them some slack.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I'm going to go finish reading Twilight for the fifth time and maybe pop in the movie when I'm done. Team Edward forever!